|Summary||female co-founder of 23andMe|
Lilly Mendel is Linda Avey, co-founder and former co-president of 23andMe. She blogs at http://lillymendel.blogspot.com. In May of 2008 her real genotype information was used for a contest, without revealing her identity.
The text below is from the winning entry.
Lilly Mendel is a female caucasian
- rs1426654(A;A) probably light-skinned, European ancestry
- rs2814778(T;T) Duffy blood group antigen. suggests european ancestry
- rs25487(A;G) 2x higher risk for skin cancer
with beautiful blue eyes,
- rs4778241(C;C) blue eyes
- rs12913832(G;G) blue eye color
- rs7495174(A;A) blue/gray eye color
- rs8028689(T;T) blue eye color if part of blue eye color haplotype
- rs7183877(C;C) blue eye color if part of blue eye color haplotype
- rs1800401(G;G) blue/gray eyes possible
and an interesting personality.
- rs4570625(G;G) higher scores on anxiety-related personality traits
- rs1800955(C;T) influences personality
Everyone's who's ever met her knows that. Fewer people know she's a night owl
- rs1801260(C;T) late night / light sleeper
who likes to finish her evening with french vanilla ice cream and a glass of white wine.
Even fewer people know of the signs of alcoholism in her family tree
- rs279871(C;T) rs279845(A;T) rs279836(A;T) =~ haplotype rs279871(A) rs279845(T) rs279836(A)
- (this needs orientation confirmation)
Or how those family issues may have helped to trigger a period of depression during her teens. After experimenting with several medications doctors found that citalopram seemed to work well for her.
- rs2156921(G;G) increased risk of depression
- rs2235015(G;G) 7x less likely to respond to certain antidepressants
- rs2032583(T;T) 7x less likely to respond to certain antidepressants
- rs2235040(G;G) 7x more likely to respond to certain antidepressants
- rs2235067(G;G) 7x more likely to respond to certain antidepressants
- rs12720067(G;G) 7x more likely to respond to certain antidepressants
- rs1954787(C;C) depression is ~10% more likely to respond to citalopram
- rs2518224(A;A) citalopram will not increase suicidal thoughts
Earlier genetic testing might have prevented 8 months of frustrating experimentation.
In her mid 30s she experienced a blood clot. By now genome scans were a part of a patient's electronic medical records. Her tests revealed the need to prescribe a smaller than usual dose of warfarin
- rs8050894(C;C) warfarin sensitivity
This was the excuse she'd needed to quit smoking. Doing so was surprisingly easy since there were now medicines customized to her genetics.
That same report revealed she had dyslexia
- rs761100(C;C) higher risk for dyslexia
- rs3212236(T;T) higher risk for dyslexia
- Based on rs793862(A;G) rs807701(G;G) genotypes she must be carrying one copy of the haplotype rs793862(A)-rs807701(C) which is linked to increased risk of dyslexia.
which she'd easily overcome
- rs363039(C;C) increased performance IQ
- rs363050(A;G) 3+ IQ points
- rs17070145(C;T) increased memory performance
- rs760761(C;T) and rs2619522(G;T) heterozygotes for cognitive function
She hadn't expected to see that, but somehow she felt she'd always sort of known. What came as a surprise was that instead of the usual advice to exercise more she learned that her jogging might actually be something to watch out for
Based on her specific genetics
- rs10494366(T;T) Shorter QT interval
- rs9739493(T;T) higher risk for hypertension
- rs173686(G;G) stroke risk
- rs326(A;A) lower HDL cholesterol
- rs2412522(G;G) Framingham related to cardiovascular disease for mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration
Her doctors opted for a daily statin to help keep her heart healthy
- rs1799768(-;-) a deletion which increases risk of myocardial infarction
- rs3900940(C;T) increased risk of coronary heart disease; better response to statins
- rs2298566(C;C) increased risk of coronary heart disease; better response to statins
- rs5918(C;T) heart attack risk, aspirin resistance
She's become more vigilant about regular mammograms.
- rs1008805(C;T) increased risk of breast cancer
- rs931127(A;G) 2.15x more likely to have lymph node metastasis
- rs351855(C;C) inefficacy of herceptin
And learned that as she ages those beautiful blue eyes may fail her
- rs2165241(C;T) 4.4x increased risk of exfoliation glaucoma
- rs1329428(G;G) 2x increased risk for macular degeneration
So she's started some daily eye exercises, become a participant in a research study and taken up photography.